Office Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Every Thursday

Office located at City Hall
241 S. Front Street Dowagiac, MI 49047
Phone - (269) 782-2195 Fax - (269) 782-9744 Cell - (269) 587-0208

The Assessor is responsible for establishing the market value of properties for the purpose of property taxes. Properties are reassessed annually to reflect any market value changes. The taxable value, in which property taxes are based, When calculating the taxable value, an increase is limited to the consumer price index or 5%, whichever is less, with the exception of a transfer of ownership or any new additions to the property that adds value.

PRE Form
To apply for a Principle Residence Exemption/Homestead, the form can be obtained at City Hall or online. This form must be submitted by November 1st in order for the homestead to be effective for that tax year. 

Disabled Veterans Exemption
Veterans whom are 100% disabled or unemployable, or a combination thereof, can apply for the Disabled Veterans Exemption. The Disabled Veterans Exemption Form must be completed along with a letter from the Veterans Administration stating the percentage of disability and or unemployability. This information must be submitted to the assessor by the close of the December Board of Review in order to receive the exemption for the current year.

Assessment Notices
Each year, the City sends all property owners a "Notice of Change of Assessment." This form indicates new valuations for each property and the estimated change in property taxes. This notice will state the dates and times for the March Board of Review in which you can appeal your assessed value.  A link to petition to the board of review can be found below. 

How to Read Your Assessment Notice
Frequently Asked Questions about Property Assessments
Petition to Board of Review - Form L-4035
Personal Property Tax
Personal property includes furniture, fixtures, equipment and machinery used in the operation of a business. Typical items are desks, chairs, computers, cash registers, racks, beds, televisions, tools, cabinets and anything used for a business but not for resale. If you question whether the property qualifies for the tax, contact the City Assessor's Office (Office- 269-782-2195 Cell - 269-587-0208 ).
Tax Sales
If I don't pay my taxes, will I really lose my house and property? YES, Public Act 123 of 1999 shortens the amount of time property owners have to pay their taxes. If your property taxes are delinquent for two years, you lose your property. Example, if you fail to pay your 2003 property taxes you will lose your property to foreclosure in March 2005.

Property Tax Forms and InstructionsPrincipal 
     Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit    Form 2368
     Request to Rescind Principal Residence Exemption    Form 2602
     Property Transfer Affidavit     Form 2766
     State Tax Commission Affidavit for Disabled Veterans    Form 5107