Personal PropertyTax

Personal Property
Personal property includes furniture, fixtures, equipment and machinery used in the operation of a business. Typical items are desks, chairs, computers, cash registers, racks, beds, televisions, tools, cabinets and anything used for a business but not for resale. If you question whether the property qualifies for the tax, contact the City Assessor's Office (269-782-2195 ).

Tax Day
The City Assessor values your property statements in December of each year. Under Michigan Law, (211.2) Tax Day is December 31st of each year. Property is valued at market true cash value and assessed at 50% thereof.

Statement of Personal Property
The City Assessor mails out personal property statements in December of each year. Under State Law, statements are to be filed with the assessor declaring all personal property. Should you not receive a statement in early January, please contact the Assessor's Office, where your business is located.

Delinquent Personal Property Taxes
If you owe delinquent personal property taxes, pay them. The non-payment of these taxes may result in the seizure of the property. Personal Property taxes are considered delinquent the day after they are due. If you have a dispute, pay the taxes and pursue action to show why reimbursement should be made. Once the opportunity to appeal with the Board of Review has passed and the bill has been issued, the assessment and the bill are both valid and the tax is not refundable.

The Treasure is authorized to seize and sell personal property of a business if personal property taxes remain unpaid. (Periodic statements serve, as a formal notice the tax is outstanding).

Posting of Notice
Once seized personal property of the business is tagged or removed from the property. All property seized will fall under the control of the Treasurer.

Sale of Property
If unpaid personal property taxes remain after seizure, the Treasurer may sell the property on accordance with State Law (211.47).

Returning the Form
Personal property statements are due by February 1st of each year. If you do not return this statement, law obligates the Assessor, to estimate the assessment based on available information. If you have gone out of business you must fill that in on the statement. Do not assume that because you are out of business the Assessor will not assess the personal property.

Contesting the Assessment
An assessment may be contested if you feel it is inaccurate. If you disagree with your assessment please contact the Assessor. If needed, you may appeal to the local Board of Review and further to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. However, to file with the Tribunal, you must have filed your personal property tax statement and must appeal to the local Board of Review. Contact the Assessor's Office for further detail regarding the process.